Monday, July 28, 2008

April 22, 2008

Hi Everyone,
I'm sorry for not writing much these past couple of weeks. Things here
in Romania are a little crazy. We had Elder Christofferson come here to
Bucharest for our District Conference. The members from the surrounding
cities came on buses...I've never seen the chapel so full!!! I wish it
could be like that EVERY SUNDAY!!! Elder Christofferson has been called
as the newest Apostle in the Quorum of the Twelve, and Romania was his
first assignment!!! How blessed are we that we had the chance to be
taught by an APOSTLE OF THE LORD!!! He promised so many blessings to the
Romanian people if they make the sacrifices the Lord asks of them like:
Tithing, Fasting, & Prayer. He promised these blessings to the members &
non-members alike. He talked alot about the Gospel culture. He even
talked about Polynesians, & how 1 in every 4 Poly's are members! I was
so proud. & then he talked about how beating their children is accepted
in our culture, & then I was so MA!!!! lol. He went on to say that the
Gospel should come before the traditions of our culture. I was really
glad he said that, because many of the members here still hang on to
their Orthodox traditions although they know it's not consistent with
the gospel. I think these same things apply to us all! We know the
simple principles of the gospel, & sometimes we think too lightly of
them, that we don't live them. I encourage you all to find the little
things that we do every day & work to try to do better. So that was
that. My companion & I are cooking for Elder Christofferson on Wed, so I
hope I paid enough attention to Mom in the kitchen!!!
Anyways, Romanian Easter is this Saturday. It's a pretty big
deal...everyone cooks these BIG Romanian meals, & goes all out with
everything!!! As missionaries, we're going to eat dinner at the Marriott
Hotel & then go to Midnight Mass Sat night-Sun morning. I can't wait.
This transfer is almost over, we have 1 more week. I'm pretty sure I'll
stay here in Buc, but again you never know where the Lord needs you. Oh
yeah, I almost forgot! So, we've been working out at this gym by our
house every morning...& I got on the scale this morning...& I LOST 10
LBS!!! WHOOP, WHOOOOOOP!!! hahaha...I was so happy!!! Even though you
probably can't even tell, I feel healthier, which is all that matters!!!
Well, you guys...I think I wrote enough for the week. The work is going
slow as usual, but I'm still trying my best. My companion & the rest of
our district are doing well. We're all really united, but people just
don't seem to give us the time of day. But hearing from you guys every
week really helps me to keep working hard.
I hope things are well for you all with work, school, & everything else
you have going on. You are all in my prayers & I know Heavenly Father is
watching over you while I'm gone. I love & miss you all!!!
-Sora Betham.

SORA BETHAM

Currently Serving in Buckarest Romania