Monday, July 28, 2008

June 2, 2008

Monday: I got bit by a dog. But we all know that. I wasn't going to
do anything about it though. I thought it was just another funny story
from the mission that I could tell people. So, I told Elder Mielke and
he told me to tell Sora Ashby. So I did. And she talked to Dr. Gardner
and that's when I began to think this might be a little more serious
than I thought. Monday night Dr. Gardner told Sora Ashby that I need to
take pictures of the bite and e-mail them to him. So I took pictures.
(It's was just a little bite, maybe the size of a quarter in the middle
of my thigh.)
Tuesday: We had some problems getting the pictures to Dr. Gardner but
in the end we succeeded and he told me he wanted me to get the shot (He
told me I need five vaccine shots that go in the arm and one major shot
that goes around the wound). (This was in the morning) So I did some
research, talked to some members and found out what the BYU girls are
told to do and the consensus was the infectious disease hospital. So we
went to check it out. The man there told me I just need one little shot
by the wound and that's it. And the room was sketch. So I called Sora
Ashby and got permission to go to Bucuresti. At 3:00 I found myself on
a train with Sora Betham.
Wednesday: The office elders took us to a hospital to see if we could
buy the one big shot but they said it doesn't exist so we ended up just
going to Dr. Hanson (who had the 5 vaccine shots) and I got the first of
many. After that we went to the Mihai Bravu chapel and listened to the
rest of zone conference and then went to the office. It was there that
I wrote you and found out that Dr. Gardner wanted me to stay in
Bucuresti because he was going to try to import the vaccine into
Romania.
Thursday: Sora Betham and I were at the Sector 5 apartment waiting for
the phone to ring because at this point I didn't know what was
happening, just that the elders were going to pick the vaccine up and we
would be heading over to Dr. Hanson's in a bit for a major shot (ewww!).
Sora Betham was in the shower when Sora Ashby called and said, "Plans
have changed. You're going to Germany." WHAT!?!? Apparently they
couldn't get the vaccine into Romania. But there was just one little
problem. Our passports were in Iasi. So what did we do? We ran to the
gara (train station) to get on a train back to Iasi. We got in about
6:30. We ran and had a lesson with a member and than got back on the
train at 11:00 at night because we were going to Germany and our plane
left in the morning. Yes, we were going to Germany!!!
Friday: We got in about 5:30 or 6:00 in the morning and the office
elders took us to the Ashby's. We showered and got dressed and left and
were at the airport at 8:00. Our plane was suppose to leave at 9:10 but
it didn't leave until 9:40. It was a nice flight too. I read in the
Book of Mormon a lot. We ended up getting into Frankfurt about 12:00
(romanian time) 11:00 (german time) and on the way to the hotel Sora
Gardner read me what she wrote her family. She said that Thursday
morning Dr. Gardner was prompted to bring us to Germany and that's why
we were there. The Spirit told him. That confirmed to me my prompting
that there was somebody on this trip that we needed to talk to. So, we
got checked in to the hotel (bling!!!) and then took us to the church
headquarters in germany for me to get my shot. yippee. Sister Bangeter
gave me my shots (she also gave shots to President Hinckley and the
quorum of the twelve). It was a huge syringe full of thick liquid. She
poked me three times in my leg and put about a fifth of the vaccine in
and then she put the rest in my hip. I was basically biting the pillow
she gave me to use and squeezing the feeling out of Sora Betham's hand.
But then it was over. It was finally over-the whole reason I went to
Germany was over in about 10 minutes. So after the shot the Gardner's
took us out to lunch at Rewe and we had a good german sandwich. Then
Sora Gardner walked with us to the cemetary-the german cemetary and the
jewish cemetary. So cool. After that I went and lied down for a little
bit and then the Nelson's took us to their home for dinner because they
live right next to the temple. Yes, that's right-we went to the
temple!!! Who would have thought that because of a freak dog on monday
we'd be in the temple on friday? I didn't but it was such a
blessing-such a blessing. The session was in german but I listened to
it in english and Sora Betham listened to it in Romanian. It was so
cool. After the temple the Nelson's drove us back to the offices and
the Gardner's took us to the hotel.
Saturday: There was an RV park across the street from the hotel so we
went for a BEAUTIFUL walk when we woke up. It was gorgeous. Then we
went and got dressed, had a bling breakfast, and got on the shuttle back
to the airport. Our plane left about 12:00 and we got in about 3:00
(romanian time). Saturday was the day of my second shot so the office
elders took us to the Ashby's and Sora Ashby gave me my second shot-the
thing was, the needle was bigger than she was used to so she had to poke
it twice. And Sora Betham had to watch so I couldn't hold her hand. So
I held President's hand. he he he. After we went and visited Sora
Gorzo and then got on the 11:00 train back to Iasi and got in at 5:30 in
the morning.
Sunday: Fast and testimony meeting was absolutely AMAZING!!! Every
member bore their testimony except 3. The spirit was SO strong and
there was no false doctrine. It was so beautiful. So beautiful. Then
we had lunch and went to the blocks (the blocks were a bit of a
challenge).
Anyway, that's my week. I went to Germany. I went to the temple. We
talked to quite a few people and I still have 3 shots ahead of me.
Stupid dog. But I'm grateful. God wanted us to do something. I hope
we accomplished it. I feel like we did. And I've learned SO much!

It's been an amazing experience, & I'm so grateful for all that I've
been blessed with. I love you all & miss you so much. You're constantly
in my prayers.
-Sora Betham.

SORA BETHAM

Currently Serving in Buckarest Romania