Saturday, February 9, 2008

November 19, 2007

I'm in ROMANIA!!!
So, Romania is absolutely AMAZAZING!!! There's nothing else like it!!!
So, the flight was really really long and uncomfortable, but I got alot of sleep in. We arrived in Buc at 1:30 & met with the AP's and President & Mama Ashby. The AP's took us around. OMG!!! Driving in Romania is sooooo CRAZY!!! They never signal and they drive over the tracks & the opposite side of the ROAD!!! The divider lines don't mean anything, I'm still wondering why they bother painting lines on the roads if they don't use them. I've seen 1 Suburban since I've been here!!! All the cars are tiny, little mini cars. The AP's are Elder Banu & Elder Spelck. Elder Banu is a Romanian from Brashov (get a map of Romania & learn the cities, or else you won't follow the rest of this letter:)) So, it was cool to have him take us around, cuz he actually knows what he's talking about. Man, he's a really crazy driver. He used to be a Taxi Driver, so he drove through like this park and down some stairs LIKE IT WAS NOTHING!!! lol. Crazy guy. We did some Notary stuff & then went back to the office. That night I went to the chapel to meet my temporary comp in Buc. At the chapel, I met Sora Puemaelotu. She's a senior Sister from NZ. She married a tongan guy, but she like tackled me she was so happy to see a Poly in Romania. I'm sad because she leaves next week to go home, but it was nice to talk to her. We taught English classes that nite & I spent the nite with Sora Andersen. Wed we met at Chismigiu Park where Romania was dedicated for missionary work. Man, it was so beautiful. I took a couple pics when I had the chance, but they could never do that place justice. Pres. Ashby read the Dedicatory Prayer & Elder Banu talked about Romanian history. He lived through communism, so it was so powerful to learn about these people and what they've been through. We had lunch and interviews with the Ashby's in their beautiful house. Then I met my bomb trainer Sora Montague. She's the bomb.com for real!!! We stayed their for awhile and relaxed, waiting for 1 more sister from the England MTC, then the AP's took us on another crazy ride through Buc to the train station.
I've been assigned to serve in ORADEA!!! It's this beautiful city on the border of Hungary. We took the NIGHT TRAIN that night from Buc. It was exactly like on Harry Potter!!! The train had 2 beds & we slept through the nite. We got here around 9 in the morning & the District Leaders Elder Abbott & Elder Miles met us at the Train Station. We got to our Apt. & got the chance to wash up & then headed over to their Apt. for District Mtg. Our Apt. is nice considering what other people have. Romanians make everything scented, which is one of my favorite things so far. Scented toilet paper (so SMART RIGHT??!!), scented notebooks (guess what you're getting for X-mas??!! :), scented pens, & so on... We get around by Taxi (they're so cheap), Tram-Vi, Bus, Subway (in Buc, it was so fun), & of course WE WALK!!! The buildings here are so beautiful, you should be so JEALOUS!!! lol...
I went to church yesterday which was so cool. The branch has about 20 active members. President Geambaşu & his wife are really young (like in their 20's), & they're both RM's so they know how to run things, & really keep things in order. Sora Geambaşu or "Iza", served Temple Square, so she loves Poly's. There's an Elder Williams whose Tongan from LA, serving here in Romania too!!! But he's in Buc now. Everyone here loved him, so now that I'm here they already kinda know where Samoa is & what Poly's are like.
The members here are CRAZY COOL!!! They're really loving and friendly, but thinking about it they have to be. It's really hard to be a member here, because alot of people think we're weird. Our chapel is like this little hall they call 'em "Villa's" which in comparison to the big spacious, blinging churches here seems smaller. But the SPIRIT (which is all that matters) is so STRONG here...& you can see it & feel it in the members & missionaries alike.
My Romanian is not as good as it could be, but I'm not scared to talk. I mean, I'm definitely scared, but I try not to let that stop me. I open my big mouth as much as I do at home, but then I let the spirit direct my thoughts, & it just comes. I'm sure I sound like a caveman, but that doesn't matter. I've learned that what's more important than what I say, is how I say it. It's an absolutely amazing feeling. Better than I ever expected. My companion has my back no matter what, & she picks up right when I need her to. It hasn't even been a week, & we click so well. She's from St. George & she's been out for about 9 months. The Elders are so tight!!! We have 4 of them in our District & they help us out so much. The food here is way different, but I like it. The stores are like Alpine Market, so it's nothing real crazy. Sorry I'm EXPLAINING MY LIFE, but I just really want you all to get a feel of what I'm going through & what it's like here.
I'm going to be honest & let you know that it's not easy. The sun hardly ever comes out, and the blocks are super dark and creepy, & its SO FRIGGIN COLD!!! But, these people really do need the gospel in their lives. It's really hard for alot of them to be happy, because life is so hard. So, I suck it up, & get out there. Alot of them aren't ready for the gospel, & treat us like crap...but it's nothing compared to what the Savior went through. And because he was so STRONG and ENDURED all those things, I put my faith in Him, & he takes care of me. I'm really not scared to walk through the dark alleys and dirty blocks, ONE because I wear double Garments (YES, it's that COLD!!!)...& TWO because HE IS ALWAYS WITH ME!!!! I carry pictures of my family & friends around to show the members & to remind me of how loved I truly am and how lucky I am that I have THAT!!! Not alot of people can say that, especially here. I want you all to know that I love you and miss you more than you know. It was so good to talk to you at the airport. I thought for sure I was gonna break down...but it helped so much to know that you're all doing good. Man, I hope & pray every night for you all. GO TO CHURCH, READ YOUR SCRIPTURES, PAY YOUR TITHING, BEAR YOUR TESTIMONY, LOVE ONE ANOTHER...because there are definitely people in the world who aren't so lucky to have the gospel in their lives. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!
Cu Dragoste,
Sora Betham.

SORA BETHAM

Currently Serving in Buckarest Romania